Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Please Come Home

So I have been thinking a lot about the parable of the lost son, found in Luke 15:11-31. There is a song about it by Dustin Kensrue called "Please Come Home."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjq8YrftfTk

Now, I've listened to this song a ton, but it struck me in a new way today. There are so many parts of this story that speak to me. Today, however, I was thinking how I am the lost son. I gather up all the good things God has given me and then I don't use them to further His Kingdom. I go off and do what I want to do, even if I know it is not what God would have me do.

A very wise friend pointed out to me recently that, in the parable, the father waits for his son. He doesn't chase after him, although I'm sure at times he wanted to. He probably wanted to race after his son, to send out search parties for him, to go find him himself and beg him to come home; and yet he doesn't do any of these things. He waits.

I know this is what God does with me. He lets me go off and make my own choices. He lets me wander. He lets me try to figure out all the junk I'm going through on my own. And He waits for me to come back to Him. And when I do, it is always with the sense of the homecoming; the sense that I'm finally back where I belong. And it doesn't matter to God if I've been gone for a day, a month or a year. Nothing I could ever do could seperate me from His love.

God waits for me. My Daddy waits for me. I learn so much more about God everytime I come into His presence. And if God can, and does, wait on me with unfailing love, then I can wait on others as well. If I want other people to see the Father's love through me, I must be willing to wait on them, and be a living example that God's light and love wait at the end of whatever long and windy road they have been traveling on.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I like how in that last paragraph you tied God's waiting on us to doing what the Father does.
    I think it does matter to God if we've been gone a day, a month, or year though. Yes, He is always faithful to take us back again. Yes, His love endures and doesn't fail. During those times we're wandering we're not furthering His kingdom though. I don't think I could go so far to say that He doesn't care about that since our time spent in the presence does have eternal consequences. I would definitely agree that God can work through every circumstance to bring glory to His name and is looking out for our good.
    -Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anika,

    Thank you for sharing this post! Understanding our place in God's story is so important to understanding his overwhelming love for us and I can see you realize just how much he loves you. One thing to remember though is that now that you are a believer you CANNOT ever be separated from God because he lives in you! David said it best in Psalms 139 when he says:

    Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
    8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
    9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
    10 even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.

    So take comfort in the fact that no matter where you are He is with you! Keep pursuing the understanding of just how much he loves you! It changes everything!

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete