Wednesday, December 14, 2011

He is everything, and I am His

So I've been reading The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer. It has helped me see so many truths about God and about myself in a new light. There are parts of the book that talk about surrendering people in our lives Him, or anything that we have put on the alter of our lives before Him. There is also a part that talks about giving up our self sins (self-pity, self-righteousness, and so on) to God. After I read it last night, I wrote this poem. Now, I'm not much of a poet, but here it goes:
I'm soaked in sin
I can't let You in
My fear overtakes me
But please don't let me be
I need Your help
To do away with thoughts of 'self'
I need hope for a new day
Please take my fear away
I need to know you care
That you will teach me how to share
My heart with others and with You
For You are everything
And I am Yours

Right after I wrote this, God led me to Psalm 73:21-26. It says:

When my heart was grieved
and my spirit embittered,
I was senseless and ignorant;
I was a brute beast before you.

Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.

Wow. So I could go on and on about what God is teaching me, but the short version is this: He loves me, and He is not going anywhere. When my heart hurts, He is there holding my hand. When I sin, and constantly think about myself, or feel sorry for myself, or don't surrender my life to Him, He is still there. All I have to do is turn to Him and say forgive me, I need help, make me more and more like You. And He will.

I also feel like God is teaching me that I will mess up, and that I will hold onto things that I shouldn't. But you know what, that doesn't change who God is and that He has chosen me. So I say right now from the bottom of my heart, He is everything, and I am HIS.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Anika. Your poem is beautiful as is the way God's leading you to surrender.
    -Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. great book. i love how god uses pieces of literature uniquely to our soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anika,

    I hear the Spirit coming out of you in the form of these words. Press on towards the voice he is using to speak to you.

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome Anika! It's cool to see God speaking to you through literature. Sweet poem too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I love your poem. I love that God is never changing. He never fails and He loves us no matter what. You are so valuable and precious to Him and He won't stop pursuing you! Our identity is in Him and not in what we do or fail to do which is so freeing! Love you! You are definitely His :)

    ReplyDelete