Thursday, October 27, 2011

And they will know us by our LOVE...

Ever since last Saturday night's Bible study I have been thinking a lot about this: "And they will know us by our love..." How powerful this is, and yet what does it really mean for us as Christians? There are so many ways to love a person. We can love by throwing our arms around them, we can love by just being there, supporting the person no matter what. This may not mean supporting their choices, but walking along side them through it all.

And then there is the kind of love where we walk away and allow God to love where we can't; maybe we are called to love someone through prayer, to trust that God has a handle on the situation.

I meet so many people throughout my week. Working as a waitress, I meet people constantly. And then there is the people I already know, people I work with, friends, family. Am I really showing God's love to them, and am I doing it to bring honor to God or so that other people will see what kind of Christian I am? I hope it's the first one, but often I'm afraid it's the second. I want Christ's love to shine through me, and to live and love the way He intended. Sometimes it's just super hard to figure that out...

5 comments:

  1. I feel ya girl, for me its hard keeping it constantly on my mind to be that way, especially at work when I get difficult customers. I'm so glad we talked about this in biblestudy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good stuff stirring in your heart, anika. i like this. its encouraging to hear it, and learn with you how to love in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, well put! I've recently been struggling with figuring out if the best way to love a few of my friends is to spend time with them or if I just need to step back. I kept feeling like God was leading me to invest my time elsewhere. Now it makes so much more sense that although I'm not with them in person necessarily I can still pray for them. Thanks for the reminder!

    -Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. parable of the talents. God has entrusted this job to you. use it for him and his glory. Jesus didnt say anything on his own, all his words were from his father. Be intentional. You can do it, if you couldnt it wouldnt have been entrusted to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thoughts :) I also have been thinking about this lately. Do we really grasp fully God's love for us? I think that is a huge part. My prayer lately has been that I would grasp in the depths of my heart God's love for me. I want this love to be what compels me to love others. As you continue to press into Him, you will reflect more of Him. I see your heart of compassion for others and God's love does shine through you. :) Keep on pressing in. I pray God showers His love on you and you grasp more of His love for you. May that be what allows you to love on others :)

    ReplyDelete